Sunday, August 24, 2008

Pumpkins, Pumpkins, Pumpkins...I'm ready for you!

A new 'fall time' use for my cake stand!

It's getting so close to PUMPKIN time!!! I can smell it now~ all of the yummy recipes I'm finding on your blogs that I just can't wait to try when it's not TOO HOT to use the stove daily! Candles simmering, all my lamps on, music on the kitchen CD player, kiddos running about playing all loaded up on Halloween sugar ;) , laughing, not hot sticky sweaty messes, and in GOOD MOODS ready for all the fun times ahead for FALL!!!

My boys love, love, love this chicken recipe. We were deciding today what we would have for each of our dinners this week and Bryce's request was for this one! So, if it's requested by Bryce-ster, it must be good because he can be a bit finicky, I'll admit!

It's from a neighbor of my parents when they were stationed at McGuire AFB, NJ in 1974.

Chicken A La Ritz

4-6 chicken breasts...cooked and diced
8 oz sour cream
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 stick melted butter
30 crushed Ritz crackers

~Layer chicken in 9x11 or 11x13 (depending on how much chicken you use) baking dish
~Mix sour cream and soup; spread on top of chicken
~Mix melted butter with cracker crumbs; spread on top of soup mixture
~ Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes, until cracker crumbs are brown and the casserole bubbles.

Serve this over white rice as your main course. YUMMY!

*This is a GOOD recipe to make ahead, too. Say ... when the little ones are napping, kiddos are in school, etc... Pop it in later when it's crazy busy dinner time, as most homes are with busy schedules! If you do make it ahead of time, Don't put the butter/cracker combo on until right before you pop it into the oven. You can even make it the night before (don't put topping on this either, until you're ready to bake) and store it in the fridge. Now doesn't that make for an easy meal paired with Minute Rice and a salad or fruit salad?!? XO

12 comments:

Jenni said...

Hey there! I just love your fall arrangement on your cake stand...so cute!

And I'll have to try the chicken recipe tomorrow night. I am running out of bright ideas when it comes to dinner lately! I'll let you know how it turns out! :)

Amber M. said...

YUMMERS! I feel the same way about fall. Can't wait to start cooking savory things again.

Shannon said...

I love your fall arrangement! And that receipe looks great too!

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

I am so ready for the pumpkins too!!!

They are coming out very soon....probably the week after Labor Day!!

I have never seen that recipe.....sounds like a winner....very kid friendly...and great that it can be made ahead!

Lisa

Amanda said...

Very pretty! I saw a cake stand today while I was out shopping and thought of you. ;) I also love all your rain pictures with your babies.

I'm not sure if I'll ever use my old crib that my mom has. She luckily won't get rid of it. I don't know how I'd use it with mostly boys in the house. MAYBE someday if I'm blessed to have a baby girl I could get the crib repainted with new hardware on it. Or I could steal your idea.. We'll see. ;)

Hope you had a great weekend!

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

So cute...it's still warm in NC, so I can't even think fall yet.
I LOVE that recipe. I have made one similar myself.

Sydney said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog awhile back. I'm still getting caught up on comments. I love that chicken recipe by the way! I use cream of mushroom soup, but I'm sure I'll have to switch to cream of chicken once my picky child figures out there's mushrooms involved! Cute blog, and cute family!

Jenni said...

I just wanted to let you know that I made your chicken recipe tonight and it passed the "Three Picky Kids" inspection! :) It was super easy to make, and it tasted great! Thanks for the recipe! :)

cherry said...

One word.....gorgeous! Love it. I will be making that recipe very soon. cherry

bj said...

Your pumpkins are just beautiful. How do I paint a pumpkin white? Spray, brush, any certain kind of paint?
Thanks, bj

Kim Hancock said...

I'm gonna have to copy your centerpiece. That is absolutely beautiful!

Decor To Adore said...

Is 8 am to early to make dinner? It sure sounds yummy!