Friday, September 19, 2008

Most FAVORITE birthday pressie EVER!

When Jason, Bryce and I moved to Germany in 2002, my Mom had never missed a birthday of mine. My first year away from home, in college in SC, my Mom surprised me in my dorm on my bday! So, it was no surprise that the 1st birthday in Germany she flew over to be with me! I should also say that it was extra special because my Mom was diagnosed in 1999 with stage 4 breast cancer. She was going through treatments on and off so this was huge that she took the time to come be with me. While there, she presented me with my most treasured birthday gift. She bought a Longaberger recipe box and filled it with lots of family recipes and fav things of mine that she cooked/baked.
This is one of the cards....
On the back of each card she hand wrote a note to me about where the recipe came from~ whether it was from a family member or a neighbor, one of my Dad's coworkers wives, her coworker, a newspaper (she even put which year she got it!). I have told Jason that along with the external hard drive of kids photos, this is the other thing that HAS to be grabbed if ever a fire were to happen!


13 comments:

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

That is such a special gift. I would grab it from a fire too! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Stick with 25 as long as you can...I definitely will be trying to pull it off on my next birthday! :)
Carrie

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

OMG...Is it your Birthday???

Happy Birthday Les!!

What a spectacular gift....I think I would probably sleep with that under the bed for quick access in an emergency!!

Such a wonderful treasure that you will be able to pass down to your children!

Have a great weekend....TGIF!!

Lisa

Amber M. said...

Happy Birthday, Lady! Hope the coming year is the best one yet!!

What a thoughtful mother. Now I know where you got it!:-)

Shell in your Pocket said...

That is the best gift! I love it! My mom made me a cookbook when I got married! I love it to this day!

Happy Birthday to you!

-Sandy Toes

Twice as Nice said...

What a special gift. I just love those kind the best. HAPPY BIRTHDAY :o)

Amanda said...

What a treasure!

Happy Birthday too!!

Jenni said...

Hi Leslie~
Happy Birthday! I hope you have a wonderful one. :) I think the gift from your mom was such a special one! It sounds like you had a very good relationship with her, and that is something you'll always treasure!

Have a great weekend! :)

Jeni said...

I am so glad your day was a special one! That was such a wonderful gift that your mom did that. And look how many of us benefit from it too. I always you recipes you share.

Joy said...

Happy, happy birthday!!! September is the very best month for b-days (I have a Sept. b-day too).

Your mother's gift is so very special! And you are a wonderful daughter to cherish it.

Anonymous said...

Leslie how could Leslie forget your bithday? Happy birthday to you!!!!! What a wonderful gift your Mother gave you!!!!!

Hugs,The forgetful leslie

trish said...

What a treasure! Especially to have her own handwriting on each card, cataloging where the recipe originated. I would treasure that for life! It will become an heirloom one day as well.
Happy Birthday!
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

Jodee said...

What a fabulous gift from your Mom! You will cherish it for years to come!

Hope you had a fun and relaxing birthday!

Shannon said...

This is so sweet and special!

Happy belated Birthday!!