Monday, August 18, 2008

So, there is a PARTY...

...going on over at SOUTHERN HOSPITALITY, and I JOINED IN! You are supposed to share you favorite flea market/antiquing/junking find and tell a blurb about it. What F-U-N! (P.S. If you click on my pics, they'll pop up bigger so you can 'see' the crib rail clearly!)

This is part of my little princess' bedroom. The hanging on the wall is my FAV FIND in her room! When we lived on base and Bryce was just a little tyke, I was walking with him one evening the night before trash pick up (commonly called 'Junk It' night on base by some gals! And for good reason...one person's junk is another person's treasure, as in this case!) Anyhoo~ my hubby was working swing shifts and there it was~ an old Jenny Lind crib sitting out for trash pick up. Well, I called my hubby and had him come home to get this great find back to our house, stat! He took it apart for me to use as a linen hanger. So, here it is in Caroline's bedroom filled with linens and a few other neat things (like her 'Go Bryce' shirt and hair bow for her 1st season as Bryce's #1 fan last year!).

I couldn't just leave my post with one thing. I felt the need to show more! This piece is especially near and dear to my heart. I grew up in England (from age 5 to graduating HS, with only 1 1/2 years of that duration back here in the US). My parents LOVED to go to flea markets, car boot sales, antiquing in small towns off the beaten path...they took us kids all over and it was SO FUN to explore! On one of our trips Mom fell in love with a piece just like this one above. She asked the seller at the flea market about it and it was already sold. She was really sad so he told her that he had another just like it about 4 hours away in his barn. Yes, you guessed it...we drove the 4 hours and Dad put this on top of our Volvo and they added it to their collection in our neat old farm house! My Mom was diagnosed with Stage 4 breast cancer in the summer of 1999. Her last Mother's Day with us was in May of 2005, just weeks before she became our forever angel. She wrote an amazing poem about our trek to get this piece, and presented me with this Welsh dresser because she knew I loved it so. This was the best Mother's Day gift EVER and has such a special place in mine and Jason's hearts. I hope Miss Priss inherits my love for all things old and neat so I can do the same for her one day to add to her house...

This isn't a favorite, just something fun! It's current 'home' is in our 1/2 bathroom downstairs!
Ah, and the antique drying rack from an antique shoppe in my Dad's hometown of Walhalla, South Carolina. My Mom knew I was looking for one of these when I was living in Germany. She found it and surprised me with it in one of her monthly care packages to us! XO

13 comments:

Carry Grace said...

I have never seen the side of a crib used like this! Very nice!

Thanks for stopping by my blog, and you have beautiful red hair.

Belinda said...

OK Leslie it is 10:00pm and I am crying at my computer... That story about your mom was so sweet. It is nice that you have so many special memories about your mom. She was such a sweet and caring lady.
Love
B

Amber M. said...

LOVE the idea with the crib side. Awesome.

And that story behind the hutch? Priceless.

Shannon said...

Wow! I love all your favorites! I never would have thought to hang a crib rail like that! It looks great!!

That hutch is amazing and what a great history behind it! Your daughter will be very thankful to have that!

Candy said...

Hey girly I have Antiques running out my ears. BOTH of my Grandma's collected differant things....and My MOM TOO...and I am an only child so guess who gets everything...the problem there is NO CASA big enough for all this "good Junk" I will have to do a post like this. I have a GREAT STORY about my China and a Note I found in it from my Nana who had died 10 years before I opened the box...she died of Colon Cancer.

So any who that was Tan Tar A....you shuld come and bring your family next year.

HUGS

Jeni said...

I just LOVE Caroline's room. It's beautiful! It made me feel good to see the stitcheries and card I made her out and about. The crib side is my fav idea.

Nicole said...

What a special piece of furniture. I cannot imagine how hard that must have been. I love that dresser in your daughter room also, I'm have been wanthing a piece of furniture like that for my kitchen forever. Thanks for sharing that sweet story about you mom.

cherry said...

Love it all....I would feel right at home at your place. You have some lovely finds! cherry

Anonymous said...

I will have to check this party out!!! Love your finds!

Amber M. said...

It's me again...I use the Scotch brand self-sealing laminating pouches for all my "laminating needs".:-) I love them because you don't need a machine to use them and they tolerate dry-erase markers so well. I'll be posting some other projects I use them for soon! I buy mine at Walmart.

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

Great finds! I especially love the story about your mom, what a special piece for you to have and pass on at the right time.
-Carrie

Amanda said...

What a sweet memory and piece of furniture your mother left you! My mom still has my old Jenny Lind crib. What a great way to use it! I'm not so sure it would be as safe to use today as a crib. LOL And I HAVE to ask about that little brown wicker chair.. was that yours as a young child? My sister has that same exact one that she now has in her home.

Nicole said...

I found your blog through Bella's momma and just wanted to say your story of the old piece from your Mom on Mother's Day was so touching. I love the idea of passing it to your sweet girl too. I am so sorry about your mom, she sounds like a special woman and I know she must be watching over your family...